Squirrels Bounce Back

After last weeks disastrous performance against Old Parks, the Squirrels made the short trip to a rather soggy Stockport Trinity. Toby Rowe returned after missing the previous week, and won the toss and made the decision to bowl first on a soft looking wicket.

Trinity started well with both openers taking it slow, and punishing any loose deliveries taking the score to 25 before Dixon took the first wicket of the day. A sharp inswinger found the edge of Hewitt, and he was on his way back for 4. Amal then joined the action removing Fryer for 20. Another sharp inswinger and Dixon took a screamer at gully. With the ball hooping round corners, and both openers beginning to tire, Rowe turned to Jayam and debutant Tariq.

Both bowlers found their rhythm straight away and began to cause problems. Jayam picked up his first wicket of the day very quickly as Mason looked to punish his first loose ball of the day. Short and wide, she looked to smash it through point, but could only find the hands of a leaping Tariq, who claimed his first catch for the Squirrels. Not content with just a catch, he soon picked up his first victim of the day. On the final ball before drinks, the very dangerous Ramesh Perera was struck on the pads, and the umpire’s finger was up without hesitation to leave the score 46-4.

After drinks the Squirrels continued to build pressure and Isuru Perera was also dismissed LBW to Jayam. Tariq then picked up 2 more quick wickets, bowling Downs for a duck, and Potts caught for just 7. After 7 overs of express pace, resulting in the sole of Jayam’s spikes falling completely off, Rowe turned to the spin of Ganesh. Tariq continued to bowl tightly not giving anything away, he finished his spell of 10 overs for just 16 runs and picking up 3 victims.

With the spin twins now on the pair looked to wrap the innings. However spin seemed to be easier to face, the score advanced from 57-7 to 81 before Sykes made the breakthrough to pick up his first wicket of the season. After a dropped catch, he set up the wicket of Higginbotham, varying his pace and setting him up nicely to bowl him for 17. Ganesh then picked up the wicket of Liyanage for just 7, thanks to a sharp stumping from Elliot Rowe. Sykes wrapped the innings up with the score on 85 as he bowled Atkinson.

Tariq finished with 3-16, Sykes 2-7, Patel 2-11, Amal 1-10, Dixon 1-17 and Ganesh 1-22 in what was a fantastic effort from all with the ball.

Despite the incredible bowling efforts, the job was still only half done and The Squirrels knew there was still work to do. A fine opening spell from Herbert had them in early trouble as he dismissed Sykes, Ganesh and T. Rowe to have the Squirrels 39-3. 

Whilst those around him fell, Elliot ‘the Anchor’ Rowe stayed calm and composed, finding gaps in the field and rotating the strike with ease. He finished 36 not out from 80 deliveries and helped guide the Squirrels home. Dixon fell to Higginbotham, but this brought Murugan to the crease, and he was clearly in a rush to get to The Swan for the first Squirrels Social of the year. He smashed his way to 34, including a monster 6 that travelled out the ground and down the main road, and he like Rowe finished unbeaten to secure a 6 wicket win.

A much improved performance which saw the Squirrels collect 17 points, and move up to 5th in the table.