DLS brings 1st XI Defeat

After last week’s defeat against Runcorn, the Squirrels looked to bounce back against Bredbury St Marks. Toby Rowe once again lost the toss and Wilmslow were asked to bat first. After a disappointing duck last week, Jegs looked to attack early and dispatched just the fourth ball of the innings for a huge 6. Sykes also looking to improve on last week’s score, hit his first ball of the day for 4. Jegs looked comfortable early on and he sent the ball to all parts the ground, and he brought his 50 up in the 10th over with a crunching four.  The score moved to 70 and Wilmslow lost their first wicket of the day. Sykes looking to join in the fun looked to hit a straight delivery through midwicket but got nowhere near it and was bowled for 17. Ganesh quickly followed Sykes back to the pavilion for just 1 and Wilmslow were now 79-2. Jegs continued to attack but he was next to go for a fantastic 68 from just 48 deliveries, hitting 10 fours and 3 sixes. It was great to see Jegs back to his destructive best, hitting runs for fun. 

Speaking of destructive, Adam Dixon and Elan Murugan were now at the crease, and with a platform already built, it allowed the pair to attack freely. Anything Dixon could do, Elan could do better. Dixon hit some big sixes, but Elan hit even bigger sixes. Dixon fell for a quickfire 21, whilst Elan made an equally quickfire 44. Another extremely impressive performance from Elan after his step up from the 2nd XI. After Elan’s dismissal, the Squirrels were now 166-5 of just 27 overs. The Bredbury bowlers began to bowl a lot tighter and the scoring rate began to slow down. Both Warner and Rowe occupied the crease for an extended period, scoring 10 and 14 respectively before they fell. Some late Fulker fireworks as he also dispatched 3 huge sixes out the ground, took the score past 200. G hung around and took control of the strike after Fulker was run out for 23, and he would add 16 before 2 quick wickets fell to leave Wilmslow 221 all out. A fantastic effort after losing the toss, in overcast, muggy conditions. 

Wilmslow went out to field positive they would be able to defend a big total. Things didn’t get off to the best start with Shiva and Amal offering the odd bad ball which the Bredbury openers put away to the boundary with ease. Amal despite bowling tight and swinging the ball, had his spell cut short due to injury, which brought Dixon into the attack for the first time this season. Whilst he too swung the ball and got the ball to move around, he was unable to find the right length and his spell ended shortly after. He did trouble to batsman on a few occasions though. Sykes came on and after a dreadful first over, was able to bring it back and restrict both batsmen, with his 9 overs going for just 25. G came on and did the same restricting both batsman to singles. By this point though both batsman had passed 50 and Bredbury were 114 for 0. One major chance came of the bowling of Sykes, however G was unable to hold onto the catch.  

At the conclusion of the 27th over, the rain came down, and the light drizzle that had been present through the day, turned into much heavier rain, and the umpires made the decision to bring the players off. Unfortunately the rain wouldn’t stop and the teams were unable to return to the field. This meant the result would be decided by Duckworth-Lewis, and after several calculations, it was concluded that Bredbury came out from the game as winners by 10 wickets, having already passed the DL target of 101. A disappointing end to the day for Wilmslow. However lots of positives to once again take from the day, especially the performances of the Squirrel’s batsman. 

The 1st XI are once again in action at home next week, as they welcome Bunbury to Rectory Fields. They are also in midweek action as they make the short trip to Stockport Trinity, in their first T20 game of the season.