1st XI Defeated By Runcorn

Following on from last weeks impressive opening day victory against Wirral, the First XI returned to Rectory Fields for their first home game of the season. Two changes were made to the side, with captain Toby and vice Adam both returning to the side for the first time this season. Toby’s first job was to negotiate the toss, which he lost and Wilmslow were invited to bat first on a damp wicket in muggy conditions. After losing the toss, Wilmslow found themselves a wicket down in just the second over thanks to a spectacular catch by Nedugodan, and Jegs was on his way for a duck. Not the start that Wilmslow would have wanted, and it was soon 12-2. Sykes caught out for 10 after a delivery that popped up. There were high hopes as Dixon then arrived at the crease, hoping he would build on the success he had last season. He looked to be positive like always but he too was quickly on his way for just 4. 

Elan arrived at the crease in good form after his 49 not out the week before, and he continued that good form as he sent the ball crashing to the boundary, hitting 2 fours from his first 2 deliveries. Ganesh then fell for a duck, although he had occupied some time at the crease and saw off some of the new ball shine. Elan would smash his was to 24 thanks to five 4’s, but he would soon perish going for one big shot too many. Warner arrived at the crease but was quickly on his way back for a duck and Wilmslow were now in big trouble at 49-6. 

Captain Toby and Beef were left with the job of rebuilding the innings, and that is exactly what they did. Both showed great patience, waiting for the overpitched or short deliveries, and dispatched them to the boundary. Toby hit four 4’s on his way to 29 and looked back to his best, whilst Beef hit one 4 and two huge 6’s, one of which ended up on the leisure centre roof. After both batsmen fell Wilmslow were left 102-8. G would add a quick fire 15 before he would fall as the final wicket, as Wilmslow concluded their innings on 119 all out. 

With only 119 on the board, quick wickets would be needed. It was almost the dream start as Shiva found the edge of Magee with the first ball of the innings, but Ganesh dropped the chance at gully. He would be dropped a second time the following over with another tough chance going down. The score would move onto 34 when Amal made the breakthrough to pick up his first wicket for the club. Jenner looked to attack but he could only find Shiva who would take a good catch. Will Magee joined Robert at the crease and the pair looked comfortable. With both batsman looking untroubled, Toby turned to the spin of Sykes and the medium pace of G to try and turn the game Wilmslow’s way. 

It would be Sykes that would make the breakthrough just after drinks. Robert Magee advanced down the wicket on the attack, but a sharp turning delivery went through the gate and hit the top of middle stump. An important wicket after a shaky start. Will Magee quickly followed. Looking to take advantage of the shorter straight boundaries and a full delivery from G, Will could only find Oli at deep long on, and he fell for 34. With both set batsman now dismissed, it gave Wilmslow hope and they looked to build more pressure. Both Sykes and G, boosted by the 2 quick wickets, bowled tightly, and produced some great deliveries that were too good for the Runcorn batsman. 

It would be Sykes’ worst ball of the day however that picked up the next wicket. A flighted delivery which landed very short, and deserved to be sent to the moon, Keenan somehow managed to chip the ball straight up in the air, and Ganesh this time safely took the catch, and Runcorn were now 103-4. The introduction of Warner brought another wicket, with Jack Beech being run out by Toby Rowe after attempting an ambitious 2. Sykes picked up his 3rd of the day. Nedugodan looking to finish the game off quickly could only hit the ball high into the air, and Oli safely took his second catch of the day. Oli then picked up a well deserved wicket, with Shiva taking the catch with the score now 118-7. Despite the flurry of quick wickets, it wouldn’t be enough as Kharka hit the winning runs for Runcorn with 11.1 overs remaining. 

Another 20 runs and early catches taken it could have been a different story for Wilmslow. However, lots of positives to take, including runs for Toby and Elan, and another strong bowling performance from Sykes. Next week sees the first team in action at home again, as they welcome Bredbury St. Marks to Rectory Fields.